Is Your Family Member Facing The Threat Of Deportation?

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Immigration
  4.  » Immigration FAQs In The Pacific Northwest

Frequently Asked Questions About Immigration In The Northwest

Washington and the Northwest rely on immigrants. According to the American Immigration Council, almost 1 million of our neighbors are either immigrants or their parents were born in another country. Our immigration attorneys at Stratton Immigration, PLLC, are asked a lot of immigration-related questions, including:

I Married A U.S. Citizen And I Would Like To Join Them In The U.S. What Should I Do?

Marriage does not automatically qualify you for citizenship. You first must obtain a green card. However, your status will be changed to “immediate relative,” and there are no limits on the number of green cards issued.

Green card requirements: Your spouse must submit a visa petition. You will have to prove you have a valid relationship. If you live overseas, you will have to wait for approval before moving here. If you are undocumented and living here, there could be additional problems.

I Am The Victim Of A Crime. Based On My Immigration Status, What Can I Do?

Immigrants fear they will be deported if they report a crime. You are protected if you suffered some crimes.

U.S. laws that protect you include:

  • Violence Against Women Act. This law protects you if you suffered domestic or dating violence, stalking or a sexual assault.
  • U immigrant status (U visas). This protects you if you are the victim of a qualifying criminal activity.
  • T nonimmigrant status. Human trafficking victims might qualify for residency. You must physically be in the U.S. due to trafficking; comply with investigations and prosecution; and prove you would suffer if deported.

My Home Country Is Unstable, And I Am Afraid I Will Be Harmed If I Return There. How Do I Apply For Asylum?

To successfully petition for asylum, you must prove:

  • You or your family members will be beaten, kidnapped or killed.
  • The government of your home country will not protect you.
  • Threats are based on your race, religion, nationality, politics or social group.
  • Your asylum application was submitted within a year of entering the United States.

I Am An Immigrant. I Am Under 21 And My Parents Are Abusing Me. What Can I Do?

Juveniles who have been abused, abandoned or neglected could be eligible for Special Immigrant Juvenile status. You might be eligible for permanent residency.

Protect Your Immigration Rights With Proven Legal Counsel

If you are facing immigration issues in Seattle, anywhere in Washington or in the Pacific Northwest, email us or call 206-508-0539.